from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A government program that provides economic assistance to persons faced with unemployment, disability, or agedness, financed by assessment of employers and employees.
- n. The economic assistance provided by social security.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A system whereby the state either through general or specific taxation provides various benefits to help ensure the wellbeing of its citizens.
- n. Those benefits paid under such a system.
- n. A specific such social benefit providing income in retirement or disability.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. social welfare program in the U.S.; includes old-age and survivors insurance and some unemployment insurance and old-age assistance
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.