from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A government program that provides economic assistance to persons faced with unemployment, disability, or agedness, financed by assessment of employers and employees.
- noun The economic assistance provided by social security.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A system whereby the
stateeither through general or specific taxationprovides various benefitsto help ensure the wellbeing of its citizens.
- noun Those benefits paid under such a system.
- noun US A specific such social benefit providing income in
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun social welfare program in the U.S.; includes old-age and survivors insurance and some unemployment insurance and old-age assistance
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.