from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A hole in the sounding board of a stringed instrument such as a violin or guitar that improves volume and tone quality.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun a hole in a stringed instrument that is shaped like an "f"

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a hole in a soundboard (as of a violin) designed to resonate with the tones


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word sound hole.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • See f hole.

    November 15, 2007