from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who spills water or other liquids carelessly.
- n. An untidy woman.
- n. A confusedly mingled mass or heap.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who spills water or other liquids carelessly; specifically, a sluttish woman.
- n. A mass, or heap, confusedly mingled.
- transitive v. To splash or wet carelessly.
- transitive v. To heap up in confusion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To mingle confusedly.
- To spill or wet through carelessness.
- To splash.
- n. A state of sloppy disorder.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It completed her expression; it was as a very halo of Yankee saintship crowning the woman who in despite of poverty and every discouragement had always hated, to the very roots of her hair, anything like what she called a "sozzle;" who had always been screwed up and sharp set to hard work.
All the vital-mines is beginning to sozzle in chewn and the hormonies to clingleclangle, fudgem, kates and eaps and naboc and erics and oinnos on kingclud and xoxxoxo and xooxox xxoxoxxoxxx till
So Curly, whether he wanted to or no, had to sozzle and splash himself all over in cold water, and really it did him good, for it made him feel nice and warm and made his ears and nose as red as a pink flannel blanket.
That horrid leg of lamb won't do anything but sozzle away in the pan; the string-beans have been scorched; and -- oh, goodness! "
"I have no romantic things to tell, for poor Mrs. Kennedy was a shiftless, broken-down woman, who could only 'sozzle round,' as Mrs. Grover said, and rub along with help from any one who would lend a hand.