from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A device designed to keep sparks from escaping, as at a chimney opening.
- n. A device used to control electric sparking at a point where a circuit is made or broken.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a contrivance to prevent the escape of sparks while it allows the passage of gas, -- chiefly used in the smokestack of a wood-burning locomotive. Called also spark consumer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. electrical device to reduce sparking when electrical contacts are opened or closed
- n. a wire net to stop sparks from an open fireplace or smokestack
Sorry, no etymologies found.