from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Law Assertion of new or special matter to offset the opposing party's allegations, as an alternative to direct denial.
- n. A presentation of an argument that emphasizes only a favorable or single aspect of the question at issue.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. The phrase is sometimes popularly applied to the specious, but unsound, argumentation of one whose aim is victory, and not truth.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an argument that ignores all unfavorable evidence
- n. (law) a pleading that alleges new facts in avoidance of the opposing allegations
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.