from The Century Dictionary.
- Of or pertaining to the sphenoid and the ethmoid bone; sphenethmoidal; ethmosphenoid: as, the sphenethmoid suture or articulation.
- Representing or combining characters of both sphenoid and ethmoid: as, the sphenethmoid bone.
- noun The sphenethmoid bone, as of the frog's skull: one of the cranial bones, situated in front of the parasphenoid. See
girdle-bone, and cuts under Anuraand Rana. Also spheno-ethmoid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Anat.) The sphenethmoid bone.
- adjective (Anat.) Of or pertaining to both the sphenoidal and the ethmoidal regions of the skull, or the sphenethmoid bone; sphenethmoidal.
- adjective (Anat.) a bone of the skull which surrounds the anterior end of the brain in many amphibia; the girdle bone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective anatomy Of or relating to the
sphenoidaland ethmoidalregions of the skull.
- noun anatomy A
boneof the skullthat surrounds the anteriorend of the brainin many amphibians.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Mark on the skull with long needles and flag-labels the sphenethmoid and the pro-otic bones.
In front of the otic capsule is the paired pro-otic bone (p.o.); behind it at the sides of the parachordal ring is the paired ex-occipital (e.o.); in front of the cranium box, and behind the nasal capsules, is a ring of bone, the (median, but originally paired) sphenethmoid (s.e.).
The sphenethmoid is perhaps represented in part by the ethmoid.