from The Century Dictionary.
- Of or pertaining to the sphenoid bone and the otic capsule, or hard parts of the auditory organ: as, a sphenotic ossification in various fishes. See cut under
- noun In ornithology, a postfrontal process of bone, or a separate ossification, developed in relation with sphenoidal and otic elements, entering into the posterior boundary of the orbital cavity.
- noun In ichthyology, an anterodorsal ossification of the auditory capsule. It articulates above with the pterotic and frontal, and below with the alisphenoid and proötic. It usually bears part of the concavity for the reception of the head of the hyomandibular.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Anat.) The sphenotic bone.
- adjective (Anat.) Of, pertaining to, or designating, the sphenotic bone.
- adjective (Anat.) a bone on the anterior side of the auditory capsule of many fishes, and connected with, or adjoining, the sphenoid bone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective anatomy Of or relating to a
boneon the anteriorside of the auditory capsuleof many fishes, connected with, or adjoining, the sphenoid bone.
- noun anatomy The sphenotic bone.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.