from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Spherical geometry.
- n. Spherical trigonometry.
- n. Variant of sferics.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The part of geometry and trigonometry that deals with spheres.
- n. Alternative form of sferics.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The doctrine of the sphere; the science of the properties and relations of the circles, figures, and other magnitudes of a sphere, produced by planes intersecting it; spherical geometry and trigonometry.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Geometry of figures drawn on the surface of a sphere; specifically, spherical trigonometry.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Electromagnetic surveys of the earth’s surface used by the mining industry are restricted by “atmospheric effects”, ’spherics” or electrical noise in the earth’s atmosphere.