from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make attractive, stylish, or up-to-date: spiffed up the old storefront.
- n. Attractiveness or charm in appearance, dress, or manners: "He may need more than spiff to get him through the bad patches ahead” ( James Wolcott).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Attractiveness or charm in dress, appearance, or manner
- n. A well-dressed man
- n. A bonus or other remuneration, given for reaching a sales goal or promoting the goods of a particular manufacturer. Originally from textile retailing, a percentage given for selling off surplus or out-of-fashion stock, of which the sales person could offer part as a discount to a customer.
- n. a hand-rolled marijuana cigarette; a joint
- v. to make spiffy (attractive, polished, or up-to-date)
- v. to reward (a salesperson) with a spiff.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. attractiveness in appearance or dress or manner
Not in all cases, but some, a provider may offer what is a called a spiff which rewards agents who sell a quota of services solely from them.
As a special little 'spiff', Bell is including NHL wallpapers, ringtones and more as part of the monthly fee.
So Chrysler invested in a range of exterior and interior design changes to spiff up its Chrysler 300, without significantly changing the car's classic architecture.
I may take some writing time this afternoon and spiff the place up for her.
I kid, I'm sure they'll spiff it up some, especially after the traffic they get today.
Recovery Act funds were under great scrutiny, and there's a valid concern that the more you unleash them without a leash, i.e., send them to others to dispurse, the more you the Feds are going to get whacked when some mayor uses the dough to spiff up his Friday night poker game.
All these old guys who spiff up their teeth and buy hair pieces so their trophy wives don't leave.
You'd think that with the tickets in the LA program costing around $500 a pop, there'd be at least a little spiff for some city program ... like for the city's desperate school system or the libraries which Mayor Antonio Villaragosa has shut down.
Ms. Chapman pointed out an iron press the crew would have used to spiff up its uniforms.
And expect more as the economic recovery leads more businesses to spiff up!