from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In cotton manufacturing, a device for twisting and winding a sliver as it comes from the drawing-rollers. It is placed in the can, in which it rotates, the sliver being wound on a bobbin.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • I'd try to know a spinning-jack from patent churn or wagon rack, a loom from hog-tight fence; and if a man came in to buy, and asked some leading question, I could answer with some sense.

    Rippling Rhymes


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.