from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A divestiture by a corporation of a division or subsidiary by issuing to stockholders shares in a new company set up to continue the operations of the division or subsidiary.
- n. The new company formed by such a divestiture.
- n. Something, such as a product, that is derived from something larger and more or less unrelated; a byproduct.
- n. Something derived from an earlier work, such as a television show starring a character who had a popular minor role in another show.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of spin-off.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
If Pardes is a DDLJ spinoff then I think you need to re-examine the term spinoff!
One of the problems with Hank, aside from the impression it gives that it's a long-lost Petticoat Junction spinoff, is that the characters seem to adopt whatever trait the writers find most convenient at the moment.
The Altria Group Inc. spinoff is evaluating those conditions, and Philip Morris said Wednesday it expects to decide whether it will proceed with the deal within the next three months.
My dabbling in spinoff Who fiction has brought me to two other encounters between the Doctor and Lincoln, and I don't know of any others (though am ready to be enlightened).
A ponderous misstep by the folks behind Family Guy, this unlikely spinoff is built around chubby, cheerful Cleveland Brown, who takes his son and moves back to his Virginia hometown.
The brand's biggest spinoff is the ACL music festival, which launched in 2002 and, like the series, ranges widely from its Americana roots.
The Shin Koihime † Musō game is itself a spinoff from the original Koihime † Musō adult adventure game.
The game is spinoff from the Koihime † Musō: Doki — Otome Darake no Sangokushi Engi game, which has already been adapted into a television anime series (Koihime Muso) and a video anime.
There are one or two medical devices in actual use in which a NASA SBIR grant was awarded during development, but so far as I know they were never used or needed in space, so in those cases the claim that it s spinoff is also an exaggeration.
You know the tentacle pron spinoff is gonna be called Scrotum.