from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to the splenium, especially describing the pair of muscles, at the back of the neck, that move the head and neck
- n. splenial bone
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Designating the splenial bone.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the splenial bone or splenius muscle.
- n. The splenial bone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In zoology and anatomy: Acting like a splint or clasp; having the character of a splenial: noting one of the pieces of the compound ramus of the lower jaw of many vertebrates below mammals.
- Of or pertaining to the splenium of the brain: as, the splenial border of the corpus callosum. See splenium.
- Of or pertaining to a splenius: as, the splenial muscles of the neck.
- n. The splenial element of the compound mandible of a vertebrate below a mammal.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The inner alveolar border, usually described as arising from a separate ossific center (splenial center), is formed in the human mandible by an ingrowth from the main mass of the bone.