from The Century Dictionary.
- In zoology and anatomy: Acting like a splint or clasp; having the character of a splenial: noting one of the pieces of the compound ramus of the lower jaw of many vertebrates below mammals.
- Of or pertaining to the splenium of the brain: as, the splenial border of the corpus callosum. See
- Of or pertaining to a splenius: as, the splenial muscles of the neck.
- noun The splenial element of the compound mandible of a vertebrate below a mammal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Anat.) The splenial bone.
- adjective Designating the splenial bone.
- adjective Of or pertaining to the splenial bone or splenius muscle.
- adjective (Anat.) a thin splintlike bone on the inner side of the proximal portion of the mandible of many vertebrates.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Relating to the
splenium, especially describing the pair of muscles, at the back of the neck, that move the head and neck
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The inner alveolar border, usually described as arising from a separate ossific center (splenial center), is formed in the human mandible by an ingrowth from the main mass of the bone.