from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several long-legged wading birds of the genus Platalea, similar to the ibis but having a long, flat bill with a broadly spatulate tip.
- n. Any of various broad-billed ducks, such as the shoveler.
- n. See paddlefish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various large, long-legged wading birds in the family Threskiornithidae, which also includes the ibises, that have a large, flat, spatulate bill.
- n. A species of fish, Polyodon spathula, native to the Mississippi/Missouri river basin.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of several species of wading birds of the genera Ajaja and Platalea, and allied genera, in which the long bill is broadly expanded and flattened at the tip.
- n. The shoveler. See Shoveler, 2.
- n. The ruddy duck. See under Ruddy.
- n. The paddlefish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In ornithology: A large grallatorial bird of either of the genera Platalea and Aiaia: so called from the broad, flat, spatulate dilatation of the end of the bill, likened to a spoon. See cuts under Platalea and aiaia.
- n. The shoveler-duck, Spatula clypeata. See cut under shoveler.
- n. The scaupduck, Fuligula marila. See cut under scaup.
- n. The ruddy duck. Erismatura rubida; the broadbill: more fully called spoon-billed butterball. See cut under Erismatura.
- n. In ichthyology, the spoon-billed cat, or paddle-fish, Polyodon spatula. See cuts under paddle-fish.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. wading birds having a long flat bill with a tip like a spoon
Now what do you do with a spoonbill? can you eat it?
Snagged this 75lb spoonbill in the Arkansas River below Kaw Reservoir.
Excuse me greatly I meant to put a 5 not a 6 it was a 5 foot spoonbill.
I live in Manila Arkansas, and i got trout lines all out in big lake. me and dad have done great there so far!! we already got over 200 pound this year!! this is where they are at boys!! lastyear we caught a spoonbill catfish that was a sight!!
Also, I din't weigh them but but also caught a few nice spoonbill catfish in Elk Point, SD that weighed in the neighborhood of 90-100lbs.
When I was a kid my family, mom, dad, aunts and uncles, would go spoonbill fishing.
Dodo, mammoth, and spoonbill -- a few of Josh Brill's animal prints on sale here.
Large wading birds found in the refuge including the roseate spoonbill, ibis, heron and egret.
Among the bird species the following are the commonest: military macaw Ara militaris (VU), rufescent tinamu Crypturellus cinnamomeus, spot‑bellied bobwhite Colinus leucopogon, great curassow Crax rubra, crested guan Penelope purpurascens, blue‑winged teal Anas discors, roseate spoonbill Ajaia ajaja, thick knee Burhinus bistriatus, jabiru Jabiru mycteria (VU), ibis Eudocimus albus and laughing falcon Herpetotheres cachinans.
It is also a spring nesting area for Mediterranean and African birds including spoonbill Platalea leucorodia (1100) and the shallow lagoons become a feeding place for up to 10,000 greater flamingo Phoenicopterus ruber which during wet spells also nest in the area.