from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A specialized branch bearing one or more sporangia.
- n. A stalk of a sporangium.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The axis or receptacle in certain ferns (such as Trichomanes), which bears the sporangia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The axis or receptacle in certain ferns (as Trichomanes), which bears the sporangia.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In bot, the axis or receptacle which bears the sporangia: a sporophore bearing sporangia. See sporophore.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. stalk bearing one or more sporangia
Phycomyces, the sporangiophore, in the belief that in the field of transducer physiology, as in genetics, essential progress will require the use of a suitable microorganism.
The surface tension catapult is not capable of the discharge distances characteristic of squirt gun mechanisms like the explosive asci of ascomycete fungi and the sporangiophore of
The fungus Pilobolus fires off its sporangiophore using a water cannon or "squirt gun," reaching accelerations that are among the fastest in nature.
Here we present a montage of high-speed video clips showing sporangiophore discharge in the fungus Pilobolus kleinii.
Montage of high-speed video clips showing sporangiophore discharge in the fungus Pilobolus kleinii.