from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A multicellular structure in which spores are formed, especially in red algae and certain fungi and slime molds.
- n. A receptacle containing sporangia, as in the pepperwort.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The structure on a fungus which houses the spore-producing organs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A closed body or conceptacle containing one or more masses of spores or sporangia.
- n. A sporangium.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, a pluricellular body developed as the product of a sexual act, serving essentially for the formation of spores, and ceasing to exist after having once, with comparative rapidity, formed a number of spores.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. specialized leaf branch in certain aquatic ferns that encloses the sori or clusters of sporangia
Sorry, no etymologies found.