from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A multicellular structure in which spores or spore-producing structures are formed, as in many fungi and slime molds.
- noun A similar structure in certain ferns, such as the water clovers.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In botany, a pluricellular body developed as the product of a sexual act, serving essentially for the formation of spores, and ceasing to exist after having once, with comparative rapidity, formed a number of spores.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun A closed body or conceptacle containing one or more masses of spores or sporangia.
- noun A sporangium.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The structure on a
funguswhich houses the spore-producing organs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun specialized leaf branch in certain aquatic ferns that encloses the sori or clusters of sporangia
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.