from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A beam reaching across a wide space, without a central support.
- n. In ship-building, a fore-and-aft timber uniting the outer ends of the paddle-box beams, and carrying the outboard shaft-bearing.
- n. An elastic bar at the top of a tilt-hammer jig-saw, or mortising-machine, to accelerate the fall, or afford return motion.
- n. In a railroad-car, one of two heavy timbers resting on the springs of a six-wheel car-truck, and serving to support the bolster-bridges, which, through the bolster, support the car-body.
- n. In carpentry, the tie-beam of a truss.
Sorry, no etymologies found.