from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • adj. Botany Having rough or spreading scalelike processes.
  • adj. Botany Spreading or recurved at the tip: squarrose bracts.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • adj. rough or scaly.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. Consisting of scales widely divaricating; having scales, small leaves, or other bodies, spreading widely from the axis on which they are crowded; -- said of a calyx or stem.
  • adj. Divided into shreds or jags, raised above the plane of the leaf, and not parallel to it; -- said of a leaf.
  • adj. Having scales spreading every way, or standing upright, or at right angles to the surface; -- said of a shell.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • In botany, rough with spreading processes; thickly set with divergent or recurved, commonly rigid, bracts or leaves, as the involucres of various Compositæ and the stems of some mosses; of leaves, bracts, etc., so disposed as to form a squarrose surface. Also squarrous.
  • In entomology, laciniate and prominent: noting a margin with many long thin projections divided by deep incisions, the fringe-like edge so formed being elevated.


Latin squarrōsus, scabby.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.