from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. Glass colored by mixing pigments inherently in the glass, by fusing colored metallic oxides onto the glass, or by painting and baking transparent colors on the glass surface.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. Glass that has been coloured, either by painting or by fusing pigments into its structure.
  • n. The use of such glass to construct decorative windows, especially in churches.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • transitive v. glass colored or stained by certain metallic pigments fused into its substance, -- often used for making ornamental windows.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. glass that has been colored in some way; used for church windows


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • The first recorded use of the term is from Mrs Radcliffe's Romance of the Forest (1791):

    Above the vast and magnificent portal of this gate arose a window of the same order, whose pointed arches still exhibited fragments of stained glass, once the pride of monkish devotion.

    This clearly can't be the first occurrence; but anyway, what did they call it for centuries before that?

    October 7, 2010