from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A permanent army maintained in time of peace and war.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A professional permanent army composed of full-time career soldiers, and not disbanded during times of peace.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. See Standing army, under Army.
- n. a permanent army of professional soldiers, as distinguished from militia or volunteers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a permanent army of paid soldiers
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.