from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In steam-engines: One of the rods supporting the boiler-plate which forms the top of the fire-box, to keep the top from being bulged down by the pressure of steam.
  • noun Any rod in a boiler which supports plates by connecting parts exposed to rupture in contrary directions.
  • noun A tension-rod in a marine steam-engine.
  • noun A tie-rod in a building, etc., which prevents the spreading asunder of the parts connected.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word stay-rod.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.