from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun That edge of a sliding-valve which, in relation to the side of the port or opening which it controls, acts to limit the size of the free passage of steam from the boiler to the engine-cylinder, and cuts off or closes such supply and opening at the proper time.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.