from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A sclerite making up part of the sternum of an arthropod.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In Arthropoda, as an insect or a crustacean, one of the median ventral sclerites of the crust or body-wall; the median ventral piece of any segment, somite, or metamere, whether a distinct piece or only that undistinguished ventral part or region which lies between the insertions of any pair of legs or other appendages.
- noun In entomology, specifically, the under or ventral sclerite of an abdominal segment.
- noun One of the pieces of the sternum or breastbone of a vertebrate; a sterneber.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Zoöl.) The sternum of an arthropod somite.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The
ventral plateof each segmentof an arthropod
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[stern(um) + –ite.]
Pete, if you're such a sternite, why no coverage on any possible movies artie lange might be doing?