from The Century Dictionary.
- noun One who or that which stiffens.
- noun In iron ship-building, one of a series of angle-bars, Z-bars, or other shapes, riveted to plating, particularly to the plating of bulkheads, to give them the necessary stiffness or rigidity. Stiffeners are called
vertical stiffenersor horizontal stiffeners, according to the way they are arranged on the bulkhead.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun One who, or that which, stiffens anything, as a piece of stiff cloth in a cravat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Anything added to something in order to
stiffenit, such as a supportbeam, or starchfor a collar.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun material used for stiffening something
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
stiffen + -er
Sorry, no example sentences found.