from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A gate used to divide a canal into sections, so that in case of a break in an embankment in one section the water can be shut off from flowing into it from other sections.
  • n. A valve of large size, of the type which slides across the opening it controls. In large sizes for pipe it is also called gate-valve and stop-valve.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.