from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small sea birds of the family Hydrobatidae, especially Hydrobates pelagicus, of the North Atlantic and the Mediterranean, having sooty plumage and a white rump. Also called stormy petrel.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several small seabirds, of the family Hydrobatidae, having dark plumage and a white rump.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See Stormy petrel, under Petrel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small blackish petrel, belonging to the genus Procellaria as now restricted, or to one of a few closely related genera, as Oceanites, Cymochorea, and Halocyptena.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various small petrels having dark plumage with paler underparts
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.