from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several evergreen shrubs of the genus Arbutus, especially A. unedo, native to southern Europe, having shiny leaves, drooping clusters of white or pinkish flowers, and scarlet strawberrylike fruit.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An evergreen shrub or small tree in the family Ericaceae, native to the Mediterranean region and western Europe north to western France and Ireland.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See Arbutus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The strawberry-plant. See the quotation under strawberry-wise.
- n. A handsome evergreen shrub or bushy tree, Arbutus Unedo, native in southern Europe.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small evergreen European shrubby tree bearing many-seeded scarlet berries that are edible but bland; of Ireland, southern Europe, Asia Minor
Sorry, no etymologies found.