from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The destructive larva of a wasp (Harmolita grandis), of western North America, that infests stalks of grain.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The grub of the caddis fly.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A caddice worm.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The larva of a trichopterous neuropterous insect; a caddisworm: so called from the bits of straw of which it builds its case. See cut under caddis-worm.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. larva of the caddis fly; constructs a case of silk covered with sand or plant debris
- n. larva of chalcid flies injurious to the straw of wheat and other grains
straw + worm? (Wiktionary)