from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several flowering plants of the genus Strelitzia
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of plants related to the banana, found at the Cape of Good Hope. They have rigid glaucous distichous leaves, and peculiar richly colored flowers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of monocotyledonous plants, of the order Musaceæ, distinguished by its flowers with three free sepals and three very dissimilar and peculiar petals, of which the outer is short, broad, and concave or hooded, the two lateral long, narrow, more or less united, and continued into a long petaloid appendage.
- n. [lowercase] A plant of this genus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small genus of large perennial evergreen herbs having leaves resembling those of banana plants; sometimes placed in family Musaceae
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Nelson Mandela waxed poetic about his love of nature when a new strain of strelitzia was named after him at a ceremony in
The National Botanical Institute, which runs Kirstenbosch, said in a statement that although some specimens of the new strelitzia had been distributed to botanical gardens and nurserymen, it had waited for a special occasion to release it to the world at large.
Plants which have never been seen before on the South African stand include the quiver tree found in the north-western Cape, a five-metre high giant strelitzia, cycads, tree ferns, highveld thatching grass and kiepersol trees.
They had arrived at a thick belt of forest, consisting of acacias and evergreen shrubs, and trees of the strelitzia, zamia, and speckboom, when their ears were assailed by the sound of breaking branches, and the unmistakable rushing of some large animals through the thicket.
"I found it amazing to have banana plants in my bedroom and soon I was growing exotic things like strelitzia and cycas."
Machetes R Us came last week and chopped the FKN strelitzia down to it’s stumps.