from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. An enclosure containing packing to prevent leakage around a moving machine part.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. a device for rendering a joint impervious where there is a hole through which a movable cylindrical body, as the paston rod of a steam engine, or the plunger of a pump, slides back and forth, or in which a shaft turns. It usually consists of a box or chamber, made by an enlargement of part of the hole, forming a space around the rod or shaft for containing packing which is compressed and made to fill the space closely by means of a sleeve, called the gland, which fits loosely around the rod, and is pressed upon the packing by bolts or other means.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In machinery, a contrivance for securing a steam-, air-, or watertight joint when it is required to pass a movable rod out of a vessel or into it.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a small chamber in which packing is compressed around a reciprocating shaft or piston to form a seal


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.