from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of subpoena.
- v. Alternative spelling of subpoena.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A writ commanding the attendance in court, as a witness, of the person on whom it is served, under a penalty; the process by which a defendant in equity is commanded to appear and answer the plaintiff's bill.
- transitive v. To serve with a writ of subpœna; to command attendance in court by a legal writ, under a penalty in case of disobedience.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To serve with a writ of subpœna; command the attendance of in court by a legal writ: as, to subpœna a witness.
- n. In law, a writ or process commanding the attendance in a court of justice of the person on whom it is served, under a penalty.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.