from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A pump for drawing up a liquid by means of suction produced by a piston drawn through a cylinder.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the common pump, in which the water is raised into the barrel by atmospheric pressure. See Illust. of Pump.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pump having a barrel placed above the level of the water to be drawn, a suction-pipe extending from the barrel down into the water to be raised, an inlet-valve opening inward or toward the piston, and an outlet-valve in the piston.
- n. As a piece of chemical apparatus, same as filter-pump.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a pump for raising fluids by suction
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.