from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • adj. Biology Having narrow, deep furrows or grooves, as a stem or tissue.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • adj. Having deep, narrow sulci, grooves or furrows

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. Scored with deep and regular furrows; furrowed or grooved.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To plow; furrow.
  • Furrowed; grooved; having long narrowed depressions, shallow fissures, or open channels; channeled or fluted; cleft, as the hoof of a ruminant; fissured, as the surface of the brain.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • adj. having deep narrow furrows or grooves


Latin sulcātus, past participle of sulcāre, to furrow, from sulcus, furrow.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.