from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A molding or border above the base of a structure such as a baseboard.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. the uppermost part of the moulding of a baseboard, a pedestal or a similar construct
  • v. to lower the rise of an arch

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A cornice, or series of moldings, on the top of the base of a pedestal, podium, etc. See Illust. of column.
  • n. A board or group of moldings running round a room on a level with the tops of the chair backs.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To depress; flatten.
  • n. In architecture, the crowning molding or cornice of a pedestal; a border or molding above a base, as the moldings immediately above the base-board or wainscoting of a room. See cut under dado.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. the molding or border above the base of a structure (a pedestal or podium or wall)


From sur- +‎ base (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.