from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A metal block with holes or grooves for shaping metal objects.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. a perforated block of iron, having grooved sides and adapted for use in heading bolts and swaging objects of large size.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A heavy block of iron, perforated with holes of different sizes and shapes, and variously grooved on the sides: used for heading bolts, and swaging objects of larger size than can be worked on an anvil in the ordinary way.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. an iron block cut with holes and grooves to assist in cold working metal


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.