from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A flowering plant, Dianthus barbatus, in the family Caryophyllaceae, native to the mountains of southern Europe from the Pyrenees east to the Carpathians and the Balkans.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. The European goldfinch; -- called also sweet Billy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The bunch-pink, Dianthus barbatus, a garden flower, hardy and of vigorous growth, bearing in close clusters a profusion of brightly and variously colored flowers, generally party-colored in zones. Compare sweet-john.
- n. The Deptford pink, or sweet-william catchfly, Dianthus Armeria. See pink.
- n. See Lychnis.
- n. The goldfinch, Carduelis elegans.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Eurasian pink widely cultivated for its flat-topped dense clusters of varicolored flowers
Sorry, no etymologies found.