from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A movable bridge that has as its primary structural support a vertical locating pin and support ring, usually at or near to its centre of gravity, about which the turning span can then pivot horizontally.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. a form of drawbridge which swings horizontally, as on a vertical pivot.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A bridge that may be moved aside by swinging (either as a whole or in sections), so as to afford passage for ships on a river or a canal, at the mouth of docks, or the like. See cuts under bridge and castle.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.