from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A piece of wood or sheet metal fitted into a ditch to dam up the water so as to overflow a field.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A small movable dam of metal, wood, or cloth used temporarily to obstruct the flow of water in irrigation laterals or distributing-ditches, forcing the water to adjacent fields.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.