from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A central system of switches and other equipment that establishes connections between individual telephones. Also called switchboard.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. any equipment that establishes connections between telephones
- n. the building housing such equipment
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A central office in which the wires of telephones from local subscribers may be connected by switches to other local telephones or to long-distance lines, to permit transmission of conversation or data.
- n. a central office in which the wires of any two telephones or telephone stations may be connected to permit conversation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a workplace that serves as a telecommunications facility where lines from telephones can be connected together to permit communication
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.