from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An unknown land; an unexplored region: "a vast and virtually final terra incognita left to terrestrial explorers” ( David F. Salisbury).
- n. A new or unexplored field of knowledge.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Land that has never been explored or mapped; uncharted territory.
- n. By extension, ideas or concepts that have not yet been tried or explored.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- An unknown land; unexplored country.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an unknown and unexplored region
Pro Johanne Caboto et filiis suis super terra incognita investiganda.
Philosophical vedette at the distance of one thousand miles, and on the verge of the terra incognita of our continent, is precious to us here.
About ten miles to the east is the coast of the large Island of Gilolo, perhaps the most perfect entomological terra incognita now to be found.