from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small enclosure or closed container in which selected living plants and sometimes small land animals, such as turtles and lizards, are kept and observed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An enclosure where very small animals are displayed, often with some plants, in a naturalistic setting.
- n. A partially enclosed glass container for displaying plants, especially plants that need high humidity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A vivarium for land animals; a place where such animals are kept alive for study or observation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a vivarium in which selected living plants are kept and observed
If you want a wider range of possibilities for plants, an open terrarium is the way to go.
This type of terrarium is more durable and easier to maintain.
A terrarium is a small environment where plants and sometimes animals live together in their own little environment.
Enclosure selection: The most important decision you make when making a terrarium is choosing what type of container to put it in.
In a closed environment the terrarium is sealed and it is an ecosystem unto itself that needs very little except occasional watering and moderate sunlight ..
An open environment terrarium is more common and is usually one where the top is open.
A terrarium is a beautiful composition of plants and flowers that require only minimum care.
You hear the word terrarium, and you think of an abandoned aquarium with a lid.
I send a terrarium, which is for plants, but it is also like a piece of furniture.
The terrarium has been their home since they were found on the sidewalk outside of the consulate after a suicide bomber had made an orphan of them.