from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Something that cannot be classified into either of two groups considered exhaustive; an intermediate thing or factor.
- noun A third person or thing of indeterminate character.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Something neither mind nor matter; especially, an idea regarded as not a mere modification of the mind nor a purely external thing in itself.
- Hence Something mediating between essentially opposite things.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- A third somewhat; something mediating, or regarded as being, between two diverse or incompatible substances, natures, or positions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun something
intermediatebetween two classifications
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun some third thing similar to two opposites but distinct from both
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Late Latin : Latin tertium, from neuter of tertius, third + quid, something.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Latin tertium from tertius, third + quid, thing
Sorry, no example sentences found.