from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of various amoeboid protozoans having a hard external covering, found in soil and freshwater habitats.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Having a test or shell; belonging to any group of animals called
- noun A member of the Testacea, in any sense.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Zoöl.) Onr of the Testacea.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun zoology One of the Testacea.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun any of various rhizopods of the order Testacea characterized by having a shell
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
The testacean is almost the only genus that throughout all its species is non-copulative.
Even in the case of the testacean we speak of spawning (or pregnancy); but whereas the crustaceans may be seen coupling and laying their spawn, this is never the case with testaceans.
Molluscs, after pairing and copulation, lay a white spawn; and this spawn, as in the case of the testacean, gets granular in time.
But, we would beg to remind all such astute reasoners, of what they seem to be ignorant, namely, that sometimes diamonds are picked up from the dirtiest dung-hills, while the most beautiful of pearls are taken often from the bodies of the ugliest of testacean bivalves.