from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or being a cephalopod of the order Tetrabranchiata, characterized by two pairs of gills and including the chambered nautilus and many fossil species.
- n. A tetrabranchiate cephalopod.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or relating to the Tetrabranchiata.
- n. Any of the Tetrabranchiata.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Tetrabranchiata.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as tetrabranch.
It is said truly that the Ammonite, Orthoceras, and Nautilus of these ancient rocks were of the tetrabranchiate division, and none of them so highly organised as the Belemnite and other dibranchiate cephalopods which afterwards appeared, and some of which now flourish in our seas.