from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A musical instrument in which, while it has strings and a keyboard, like the pianoforte, the tones are produced from the strings by pressing them, by means of the digitals, against a revolving cylinder of india-rubber covered with rosin. Compare harmonichord, hurdy-gurdy, and keyed violin (under keyed).


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.