from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A monosaccharide containing no more than four carbon atoms in its primary chain.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sugar or saccharide containing four carbon atoms.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A monosaccharide derived from a certain alcohol.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In organic chemistry, the class-name applied to those sugars which contain four atoms of carbon in the molecule.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any monosaccharide sugar containing four atoms of carbon per molecule
tetra- (“four”) + -ose (“sugar”) (Wiktionary)