from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A thermometer which indicates the pressure of the atmosphere by the boiling-point of water, used in the measurement of altitudes.
- noun A siphon-barometer having its two wide legs united by a narrow tube, so that it can be used either in its ordinary position as a barometer or in the reversed position as a thermometer, the wide sealed leg of the barometer then serving as the bulb of the thermometer.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Physics) An instrument for determining altitudes by the boiling point of water.
- noun A siphon barometer adapted to be used also as a thermometer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun obsolete, physics An instrument that measured
altitudesvia the boiling pointof water
- noun geology A
mineralused to estimate temperatureand pressurein the rocksduring its formation
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.