from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An instrument that measured altitudes via the boiling point of water
- n. A mineral used to estimate temperature and pressure in the rocks during its formation
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for determining altitudes by the boiling point of water.
- n. A siphon barometer adapted to be used also as a thermometer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A thermometer which indicates the pressure of the atmosphere by the boiling-point of water, used in the measurement of altitudes.
- n. A siphon-barometer having its two wide legs united by a narrow tube, so that it can be used either in its ordinary position as a barometer or in the reversed position as a thermometer, the wide sealed leg of the barometer then serving as the bulb of the thermometer.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.