from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The rail that supplies the high voltage to power a train on an electric railway.
- noun A subject that tends to be avoided because of its offensive or controversial nature.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- colloq., colloq. The third rail used in the third-rail system.
- colloq. An electric railway using such a rail.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The
electrifiedrail that runs besides, or between train tracksto power electric trains.
- noun by extension anything that is
dangerousto come into contactwith, or is best avoided
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a rail through which electric current is supplied to an electric locomotive
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.