from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A wooden peg set in pairs in the gunwales of a boat to serve as an oarlock.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. Same as Thole.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Same as thole, 1.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a holder attached to the gunwale of a boat that holds the oar in place and acts as a fulcrum for rowing


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.