from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A play used to restart play in soccer after the ball has gone over the sideline, in which a player on the team not responsbile for putting the ball out of bounds flings the ball with both hands over the head back onto the field.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A set-piece where the ball is thrown back into play
- n. A throw of the ball back into play by the boundary umpire. The umpire faces away from the players and throws it in over his or her shoulder (so as to clearly not favour either side by where exactly it's thrown).
- n. the start time of a Gaelic football match, comparable to kick off in other games.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (rugby) an act or instance of throwing a ball in to put it into play
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Woodcock is at the heart of New Zealand's powerful scrum, while Whitelock has transformed the once maligned lineout into a formidable operation: the All Blacks have won a tournament-high 90% of their own lineouts and almost one quarter on their opponents' throw-in.
There were three minutes to go until half-time and all Sevilla had won was a throw-in, but appreciative applause filled the Sánchez Pizjuán.
Billups, little more than a throw-in to the trade for salary reasons, showed off his veteran savvy with 21 points and eight assists.
A Bridge throw-in found Cole and he easily evaded Gardner before crashing a 25-yarder beyond the goalkeeper Ben Foster.
We need to take a moment to give some props to Nick Rimando; after being a throw-in in the Freddy Adu trade, he's probably been the best goalkeeper in MLS over the last three years.
DeShawn Stevenson was considered, no, he was the throw-in when the Wizards dealt him, along with Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood, to Dallas in exchange for Josh Howard at the trade deadline last season.
One player apparently not in a battle for a rotation position, in a surprise, is Anthony Carter, the energetic point guard who was considered a throw-in with Anthony but has virtually locked up a rotation spot.
A throw-in comes in but Hall punches clear for Houston.
A throw-in to Galaxy after a miscontrol by Taylor.
Macheda was particularly poor, misplacing passes and at one point trying to control a routine ball only to knock it out for a throw-in.