from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A decorative loop of fabric, cord, or metal for parting and draping a curtain to the side.
  • noun A pair of curtains intended to be tied back.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A loop of cloth, cord, etc., which is placed around a curtain to hold it open to one side.
  • noun journalism A newspaper rewrite or short synopsis of the information presented in the original story. in order to refresh the memories of readers who saw the old story and to update new readers.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a device (as a decorative loop of cord or fabric) for holding or drawing something back


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.