from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A decorative loop of fabric, cord, or metal for parting and draping a curtain to the side.
- n. A pair of curtains intended to be tied back.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A loop of cloth, cord, etc., which is placed around a curtain to hold it open to one side.
- n. A newspaper rewrite or short synopsis of the information presented in the original story. in order to refresh the memories of readers who saw the old story and to update new readers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a device (as a decorative loop of cord or fabric) for holding or drawing something back
Sorry, no etymologies found.
BP could have used a "tieback" method that would have provided twice as much protection, according to evidence released by the House Energy and Commerce
I continue to believe that their decision to run only the long string, rather than a liner/tieback combination, as well as the decisions to not wait on more centralizers or to not circulate bottoms up, was BP and Transocean's concern about getting pipe to bottom and getting cement in place, not money.
Behind her, a fan oscillated, stirring the stale air and pulling strands of her hair from the tieback.
The safer option, known as the liner-tieback option, would have provided more barriers to prevent the flow of natural gas up the space between the steel tubes and the well wall.
The safer method, known as the liner-tieback option, would have provided more barriers to prevent the flow of natural gas up the space between the steel tubes and the well wall.
Also, with a high pressure well, the conventional wisdom would be to run liner, test top of same, then run tieback string.
BP could then have performed positive and negative pressure tests on that liner top, before proceeding with a “tieback string” to complete the connection to the wellhead at the seafloor.
This was a nice tieback to the ambition in its early beginnings, and I quite liked that aspect.
That Better Be From The Phoebe Price Collection knows what's good, so I'm going to assume that curtain tieback around her head is a Phoebe Price original.
October 11, 2008 at 4:55 am kittehz r gud @ that,2. may i tieback ur hair fur u?